Discover offers 5% cash back in rotating categories throughout the year. They change every quarter which allows you to maximize various purchases. While Discover is sometimes considered a beginners card in the points and miles world, the credit card company is offering a strong set of 5% categories this year, which makes it a keeper in our eyes.
Pro Tip: You may be eligible for even more cash back if you ask! There are reports that some cardmembers are receiving a promotional extra 2-3% cash back for the next 6 to 12 months.
Quarter 1 – January to March 2020
- Grocery Stores, Walgreens, and CVS
- Earn 5% Cashback Bonus at Grocery Stores, Walgreens and CVS from January 1–March 31, 2020, on up to $1,500 in purchases, when you activate. This doesn’t include purchases made at Target or Walmart.
- Activate starting NOW!
Quarter 2 – April to June 2020
- Gas Stations, Uber, Lyft, and Wholesale Clubs
- Earn 5% Cashback Bonus at Gas Stations, Uber, Lyft and Wholesale Clubs from April 1–June 30, 2020, on up to $1,500 in purchases, when you activate.
- Activate starting February 1st, 2020
Quarter 3 – July to September 2020
- Restaurants and PayPal
- Earn 5% Cashback Bonus at Restaurants and PayPal from July 1–September 30, 2020, on up to $1,500 in purchases, when you activate.
- Activate starting May 1st, 2020
Quarter 4 – October to December 2020
- Amazon.com, Walmart.com and Target.com
- Earn 5% Cashback Bonus at Amazon.com, Walmart.com and Target.com from October 1–December 31, 2020, on up to $1,500 in purchases, when you activate.
- Activate starting August 1st, 2020
Don’t have a Discover card? Right now, you can get $50 CASHBACK plus 0% Intro APR for 14 months on purchases and balance transfers. This is on top of the great other features – like 5% cashback (that’s doubled for the first year!)